Thursday 20 November 2014

God, please make me white

I have a problem. I’m what you may refer to as a ‘Grammar police’. I just can’t look away when someone gbagauns makes a grammatical error. This has put me in a lot of trouble. I just feel like it’s my civic responsibility to correct such a person. So anyway, I was scrolling through updates on my BBM when I saw something that someone had written wrongly. I really reaaaalllllly wanted to mind my business but the nudge came again and I couldn’t ignore. So I messaged the person with my corrections. The reply I got has scarred me for life and I doubt I’ll be making any corrections in the future. Apparently, the person had been listening to a message and that’s how the preacher supposedly constructed it. Quoting him verbatim, he said, ‘Toor that’s what the preacher just said. He is white’. HUH (Insert surprised face).
I don’t even know how to describe the look on my face when I read that. I was in a state of shock, amusement and a little confusion. I was screaming ‘whaaatttttttttt’ in my head. So something that is conspicuously wrong is okay because it was a white person that said it. I have to be white.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of the proponents for ‘black is better than white’ or who feels like I have to prove that I am better than white people. That in itself is already a defeat. But c’mon, Nigerians really need to become more confident and be able to compete intellectually at a global level without feeling small. Well, that’s just my own 2 cents.
On a lighter note, here are a few prayer points:
God please make me god looking so I don’t have to work for anything in my life.
God please give me American/British or even Spanish accent so I can get a job as an OAP.
God please make me slim and tall so I can get free rides, the sun in this part of the world really does not smile.
God please provide me with an iPhone, I can even manage iPhone 4 just so people don’t think I’m suffering. You know the kind of phone one uses determines the respect you get from the society.
Finally, please give me a hot foine boyfriend so I can post pictures on Instagram because I haven’t started living till I have a man especially one I can show off.
Thank you God.
Ebunlola.

Dew, rain and sunshine….

3 comments:

  1. Lol @ he is white! I do agree with you, Ebun. When we throw away our confidence, we lose a lot more than we can quantify. I have been both educated and entertained reading your posts. Great great work, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask and it shall be given to you. Believe and you'll see you have got your prayers answered.... smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha...welcome to the clime where being 'white' connotes perfection.

    ReplyDelete