Friday 23 August 2013

Can I live?



 So I’m 6 days away from officially becoming a postgraduate. Yay me!!!! I have some free time and decided to blog. I would like to talk about ‘Benefit of the doubt’
I woke up this morning to news of a popular pastor who had an affair and as is the norm, many people on social media lashed out with their favourite mantras, ‘shebi we said it, that’s how all of them are’, ‘fake pastors everywhere’, ‘I’m not surprised’, etc. I’m like can we all take a breather, can we just step back for a while. No. 1, it is not your business. No. 2, you are not God, you don’t know what happened. No. 3, your opinion doesn’t even count. Now we have not heard his own side of the story but just because someone somewhere decides to write something, we all begin to cast stones.
In the midst of all this, one tweet by @omojuwa caught my attention. He tweeted “Until someone tells one side of a story that’s not true about you, you’d not understand “Benefit of the doubt”. That tweet struck me and it made me remember an incident that happened during my undergrad.

I came out best graduating student in my class and you know what that entails, unlike some efikos who do not require reading to pass, I had to read my way through. I burnt the midnight candle literally, lived in the library and studied in my room all the time. I only made time for NIFES, my fellowship as I was an exco. It was basically books and fellowship. It paid off as my results were always good. One day I was studying and my friend dropped by and was shocked I was still studying because I had been on that same study material for a while and she said to me ‘yunno in class, they say you are not intelligent, you only cram to pass’. It was like they broke glass on my head, I went ballistic. I begged her for names which she gave me. I was boiling, I couldn’t study anymore. All I could think about was these people have no idea the efforts I put in and just because I’m doing whether they cook up such malicious lies? I called my mum in the morning to tell her and I even started to cry and I told her I was going to look for their houses to give them a piece of my mind. My mother laughed so hard and she said something to me “even if you are cramming, is it easy to cram? Why have they not crammed and passed” and I also joined in the laughter.
I saw those people in the exam hall, I took it upon myself to smile and greet them. I realized that I have nothing to prove. Some people will always believe in you, others won’t. Don’t stop living your life because people will always talk. My motto recently is ‘If it pleases God and it makes me happy, it is all that matters’.
That’s all I have to say today. See you soon

Peace, love and cupcakes
Love
@LoveOmoraiyewa


2 comments:

  1. I read ur piece & i laughed at the part when ur mom said " is it easy to cram ?" She's that cool to say that.
    I was less busy & decided to check ur blog out. Only to read this nice "ish" U wrote.
    Was happy i read it.
    Bibii.

    ReplyDelete