Tuesday 29 August 2017

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Nothing in life prepared me for a divorce at 26. My life was moving great;
ü  Born again as a teenager
ü  First degree at 20
ü  Second degree at 23
ü  Married at 23
ü  Career woman at 23
ü  First child at 24
ü  Business owner at 25
I am being confronted with the harsh reality of single motherhood at such a tender age and I had to ask, ‘why?’ Why do bad things happen to good people? Obviously, I am highly flawed but by standard profane judgments, you would consider me ‘good’. As I think of myself, I consider the over 1,000 lives lost in the Sierra Leone mudslide, the over 100,000 killed and 2,000,000 people displaced by Boko Haram in Nigeria, the innocent boy who was killed by a stray bullet in Imo state a few days ago, the woman who chose to remain a virgin till marriage and who is being confronted with barrenness many years on, the 6 out 0f 10 children who suffer sexual abuse in Nigeria, the widow who is being thrown out on the streets, the orphan who does not know where the next meal is coming from, the student who is being bullied by a lecturer, the innocent person who is being indicted for a crime he knows nothing about and many others who are going through excruciating suffering around the world. We all ask ‘WHY?’
My honest answer is – I don’t know. I do not know God’s yardstick. He chooses to bless whoever He wishes BUT we know He is always faithful. However, there are a few things we can learn from tribulations;
*Being a Christian does not guarantee you a perfect life. Christianity is not always rosy. People who share only the material benefits of Christianity are not being truthful. John 16:33 says, ‘You WILL have suffering in this world’. It is a certainty so yes, bad things will happen to good people. Look at our big brother, Jesus. He saw it all. Are you broken, He was broken too. Are you despised or rejected? He was too. Are you sad? He was filled with many sorrows. Did a close friend betray you? He was betrayed too.
*Though suffering is not good, it can be used to accomplish good. You can either let your pain make you bitter or better. You can give in to rage and let it destroy you or you can use your despair to help others. Bishop Jakes preached a message this past week, ‘My pain is my bread’ That pain may just be tied to your purpose. Don’t let your pain go to waste.
*We are assured that whatever confronts us will not overcome us. I love the how the Joyce Meyer AMP translation puts it; ‘in the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but….be confident, certain, undaunted…I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you’ john 16:33. God is with you in your lowest points. You may not understand His ways but learn to trust His ways. Soon everything becomes clear. Tribulation teaches trust.
*Our suffering is nothing compared to the blessings He has given and is yet to give to us. Count your blessings; name them one by one and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
*There will be a time when there will be no more crying, no more tears, no more pain and suffering when we will be reunited with God in perfect harmony forever. Nothing else will matter.
When bad things happen, as it will, make the choice to run to Him. Go through it, learn the lesson and move on.
P.s, when you
sing ‘I want to be more like Jesus’ Get ready, because His life was not easy AT ALL. He had nails pierced through His body. Can you handle that?

Peace, love and sunshine,
Love.

If this has blessed you, please share and be a blessing to others. xx

6 comments:

  1. Hello Ebun, I follow you on IG. Just curious, is this write up about you or you are just writing generally? I do not want to believe you are getting divorced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This breaks my heart...it's well with you.

    ReplyDelete