Sunday 28 July 2019

Somebody's role model

Post Secondary school, Omotola Jalade Ekeinde was EVERYTHING for me. There was grace in her strides. She exuded confidence and a beautiful aura. I toyed with the idea of being an actress because of her😂. I would often try to mimic how she walked and dressed. I felt powerful because of her.

Then it was Simi in Uni days. Though not popular then, her music was EVERYTHING. I could sing ALL her songs word for word. I began to take my music seriously.

During MA days, it was Mali Music and Gaise. I began to really think deep and have uncomfortable conversations about religion and life. And then I threw in a little Ed Sheeran. Oh and Isha Sesay too.

Then I 'met' Sarah Jakes Roberts through her books and I was transported into her world and I was like Yassss! Chileeeee. Nobody 'badder' than! But seriously her faith and fashion have a serious influence on me.

I ran into my gym instructor one evening at the gym. He recalled that he had seen me earlier in the day. I was going to the gym in the morning and evening EVERY DAY. I was obsessed with losing weight. He told me I was beautiful and should embrace my beauty and that I did not need 2 sessions per day. That was the day I decided I would not kill myself😁. I never got his name till I left Westminster but he influenced me a great deal.

Then I 'met' Tiwa Savage through her interview on HIP TV One day. She damned her fame and told the world her truth. Just like that! Coincidentally, I was in the same boat. Then I thought, "If she can, then I can".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that at every point in my life I have had huge influences as you must have too.
Same way, you are also an influence to someone else. Make it count! I will continue to reiterate that your life is not just for you. It is a mirror that will guide someone else (even if it is for a short period of time). Live your best God-given life and do not abuse the sphere of influence He has given to you.

I have not watched an Omotola movie in ages, I have not yet listened to Simi's new song- By you nor Gaise's newest single, I don't have Mali's last album, I don't think I know any Tiwa Savage song (I still listened to SJR last week sha); but I am grateful for the roles they played in my life when they were most needed.

I should sleep now, else I'll keep typing away.

Peace, love and sunshine,

Your favourite writer girl,

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment