Monday 24 July 2017

Identity

06224004
This was my identity while studying in the University of Abuja. It was my point of reference. No one ever asked of your name, all they needed was your number. It was the number you needed to go check your result when they were released. It was my pride and joy. It was my strength and my weakness too. If points were to be awarded, it was to this number and if someone was to deliberately attack me academically, this number was all the needed. I carried this number with so much confidence. It was my secret weapon. It was what set me apart from every other person in my department. It was my unique feature.
As a fresh jambite, we were to take our course forms for signing to the respective lecturers. I was done with the lecturers in my department but we also had elective courses from other departments. I went to one of this other departments to sign and knocked on a door. I stated my purpose, he asked me to sit. After a while, he started to come towards me. He tried to touch me. I jumped up, I was so scared. I was 16 years old. I gathered my papers to leave and he said when I was ready to get it signed, I should return. It was like replaying a Nollywood script.
I never went back. Lectures began and I never saw him come to our class. Turns out he was not even the lecturer for the course. He only tried to take advantage of me because he knew I was naive. We met again in 300 level 1st semester. This time he was one of our examination invigilator. We had been taken to a Government secondary school called Gado Nasco to write our exams. I entered into that school premises and my eyes met with his. I thought he would not remember. I greeted him and he said to me ‘You think you can escape from me. If I want to deal with you, I know how to get you.’ I just walked away. I knew I needed to protect my identification number from this man, that was the only way he could attack me. He could connive with a lecturer from my own department to frustrate me. So I hid. I did not want him to see the class I was writing since there were many classes. Unfortunately, he found out my class. Answer booklets were shared and as usual, we were told to fill in our details. This man came and stood in front of me and I refused to write. He stood there and kept gazing at me and i just stared into thin air. He moved and I filled in my details and he was back again. So I used my elbow to cover what I had written. I knew he could not yank off my hand in full glare of everyone. Question papers had been shared at this time and I was not writing because my number had already been written on every page of the booklet. He was really taunting me. After what felt like forever, he left and never came back to the class. He failed at getting the necessary tool to attack me.
In my second semester in the same 300level, a lecturer who had been taking us since 100level paid me a compliment as I ran into him after class. He said ‘You’re so beautiful. Just like my wife.’ And I thanked him and went my way. The following Monday, I got a text message that said ‘Meet me at Atlas hotel, 10AM on Thursday.’ I was sure it was a mistake. On the said Thursday, a call comes in. I pick and it’s that same lecturer. He says this is Dr xxx. I’m surprised as to why he will be calling me and then he says he has been waiting for me at the hotel 😃😃 I ask him if all is well, he says not to be stupid. So I tell him I am unavailable. He sends another text the next Monday. I ignored it, he called on the Thursday  (I think Thursdays are his thing) and I ignored his calls. From then on, he decided to make my life a living hell. He would ask me out of his class for no reason. I was worried. He has my identification number, knows my name and was taking us 2 courses that semester. Mind you throughout 100 and 200 level, I had As in all his courses. At that point, I had calculated my GPA, I actually had a shot at a 1st class. I needed 6 As that semester. I had it worked out. Results were released and this man gave me 2 Cs. I say this without pride, I am not a C student. My course mates were shocked. It had never happened before. Who do I report to? I was told to thank God he did not fail me. But to me a C was a fail. My dream of a 1st class went out the window. Although I was best graduating student, I didn’t hit that 4.5 mark and I was so close. He knew what to attack and how to use it.
Samson fell in love with a woman called Delilah and let her in on his secret weapon and his source of power, his identity. He told her his strength was in his hair and she cut it. People only attack what you expose. They can only work with the information that you give them. Don’t let just anyone in on your strength and or weaknesses. It is a tool and can be used against you. What people don’t know they can’t attack. Keep your relationships and families private. Don’t display your budding plans just so you can #pepperdem. Protect your happiness with everything you have. Do not give away cheaply what you spent years toiling to get.

I repeat again, protect your happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment