Sunday 17 February 2019

Project ONE

"Love Ebunlola Omoraiyewa, please come forward", my professor said. The girl from Kaduna had found herself at the University of Westminster (arguably the best media University in the UK). "Clamp clamp clamp" my boots introduced me as I found my way to the front of the class. It was my turn to present and I was nervous.

I had my First degree in a Federal University in Nigeria where you automatically failed if you did not purchase the lecturer's personal handout/ textbook. We never used or saw any computers and we wrote examinations on ICT. It was a system where the lecturer would misplace your examination script and you would be made to carry the course over to the next year. In that school, you would be lucky if a lecturer showed up twice during the session. But I am grateful for parents who invested in me. I attended the best Nur/ Pry and Secondary schools, so I had a good foundation.

At the time in that university, I was the only one who owned a laptop in my hostel block (over 100 occupants). People took turns to borrow my laptop. This was still privilege. In Nigeria, many people do not even attain this level od education.

My dad bought me academic books in my field from the popular Water Side bookshop in the UK. I was in their midst but I studied like an international student. I had more than enough resources.
After graduation, I was enrolled at an ICT institution and then I won a scholarship for a 3 months course by the World Bank. This further broadened my horizon.

Getting to the UK and being the only African and Nigerian in my class did not faze me. I knew I could compete with these people. I was very confident even when they would laugh at my Nigerian accent 😂
________________________________________

I approached the presentation table and set up the projector like a bawse😎 (I had never used a projector before then). I was very confident in my research. I had put in the work. Everyone paid rapt attention. I finished and was not afraid to take questions. I answered every single one of them. I was given a very loud applause. At the end of the day, I ran into my prof and he said to me "Yours was my favourite". I did a back flip in my mind. I felt like it was a personal victory not just for me but for Nigeria considering all the nations represented. By the end of the week, the results were released on our portal. I had the highest score and a distinction. YES!!! #WeGlobalNow

Education is one of my greatest assets. It has opened many doors I never thought was possible. This is why #ProjectOne is very dear to my heart. Every child deserves decent basic education and YOU can give ONE child that. Let God use you😘. You will be kept abreast with the progress of the child.

Please see flier for all the details.

Thank you to all who reached out to me and declared interest in sponsoring a child after my last post. I am truly grateful.

Peace, love and sunshine

Your favourite writer girl,
L.E.S

No comments:

Post a Comment