Friday 8 February 2019

ONE

" You get sense so?". My mind which had drifted away was abruptly brought back to consciousness as I listened to the banter between my cab driver and a street urchin as we were stuck in traffic. The young lad had tried to earn a few bucks by cleaning the windscreen of the cab with his handmade screen cleaner which had been infused with detergent. "If I no get sense, no be here I go dey, na hospital you go see me", the young boy shouted back angrily as he wiped the detergent he had already put. The cab man, old enough to be his grandpa replied "Get out!". The boy retorted, "You too get out! Just talk say you no get money".

The boy walked away to other vehicles. About a minute later, he returned back with a N500 note and went by the driver's window to taunt him; "see wetin your mate give me". Just then the traffic light turned green and we had to move.

This is Nigeria! This is life! Everywhere hustle! I admired his tenacity (although laced with bad manners) but he had to survive. He was of Primary school age and should have been in school yet there he was hustling during school hours.

I was reminded of my desire to get all kids who should be in school off the streets but I immediately felt demoralized. There are millions of them across Nigeria. UNICEF reports that 13.1 million children who should be in school are on the streets. But I can start with ONE. And that ONE can go on to empower another. Children should be taught that they can be creators of wealth and not jubilate over a meagre N500 😣.

Redemption Academy gives at least 3 FULL scholarships every year and this year, my husband and I would be getting at least one child off the streets. If I start with ONE, you start with ONE and another starts with ONE; surely the goal is attainable. #ProjectONE

Do something for someone who is not in a position to pay you back. This is what true love should looks like. This is the God kind of love. He laid down his life for people who not only did not deserve it but who could not pay back. If you would like to start with ONE, do let me know.

Happy Almost- Valentines- Day.

Peace, love and sunshine.

Your favourite writer girl,
L.E.S

No comments:

Post a Comment