Thursday 26 October 2017

The day I got slapped

The slap that landed on my face felt like Jupiter and Saturn had collided. I could hear sounds from afar that I didn't even know existed and they kept reverberating in my ears. But the shame? Oh the sound of the shame was much more deafening. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared.

How can be do this to me on my graduation day? Is it a crime to love and be loved? So much for being so open and trusting. Is it a crime to be in love at 15?

T and I were very good friends. He would always walk me to my hostel after classes and after night devotion, we would talk till 'Night Out'. He gifted me a pink silicone wristband that had 'Love' inscripted on it. I wore it with so much pride.

During the holidays, I told my parents there was a boy in my class who liked me and who I liked back. I told them I would probably marry him and even showed them his pictures. You see, my family is very close knit. We talk about everything and I only felt it was right I let them know where my heart was😂 They tried to act cool but you could feel how uneasy they were. My dad came to speak to me in my room later. He gave a great pep talk and I killed my marriage dreams.

Only one problem. T had told his mum about me. So on our graduation day, his mum wanted to meet me. T came to call me. His mum was really pleasant. Then she asked to take a picture with T and I. My parents were a stone throw away. We stood for the picture. She put her hand across my shoulder. T then placed his hand on my waist. Lobatan! Camera clicked.

I did not even turn back to look at my parents. I just kept walking straight till I reached the hostel. I picked my luggage and went to the car park. I just finished loading the boot when my dad's hand land on my face and Jupiter collided with Saturn. My dad was furious, 'Why will you let that boy put his hand on your waist. For what?' I cried buckets. There was nothing between T and I but the situation wasn't looking good at all. We got home, I locked myself in my room. As usual, my dad came to knock on my door at night. He apologized for overreacting and said they (he chooked my mother inside the matter. I'm sure she's the one that gave ginger🤔) were only looking out for me and wanted the best for me. It remains one of my most precious memories. We have since chatted about many boys and the reaction is still priceless. #ForeverDaddy'sGirl

Over the years, my dad has been my cover, my protector (no kidding, one time I stopped a cab, my dad told the driver to stand for a picture and then he wrote down the number of the plate🙄I was already a mother!!!), my teacher, my friend, the-reasoning-when-I-don't-want-to-listen and everything else. Thank you daddy for standing by me ❤ I love you. Happy birthday.

Peace, love and cake,

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment