Friday 9 March 2018

I could have been jailed in the UK

Since its past 1am and I can't sleep, let me share a funny story. Fasten your seatbelts.

So while in London, I went to visit a family I had known in Nigeria for a few days. It was a few days to my trip back to Nigeria for the holidays. I had my suitcase packed so I would go to the airport from their home.

On the night before my departure, we took a stroll to a nearby shop to buy some groceries. That's when I noticed a beautiful gift store. They had this handmade beautiful cards with personalized notes on display. I wanted to speak up to ask of we could go in but I was shy😂 they would know I wanted to buy it for a man. Lai lai

I was now memorizing the route as we walked back home with the plan that when they go to work the next day, I will quickly come and make an express order because I was flying to Nigeria that night. Easy peasy.

We exchanged pleasantries, they went to work. I quickly had my bath and got dressed. Only one problem, it was really cold and windy. Then I psyched myself that I would not be long. I left my phone and wallet. Put cash in my jacket pocket, wore my boots and off I went. One mind said 'carry your phone' but my village people did not allow me😆

I now removed the key from inside and tried to lock from outside. It did not turn. I kept trying for almost 10 minutes, no luck for my lock (pun intended😋)

I now had a genius idea to not close the door but I pulled it close enough to look closed and off I went. I found the shop very easily. I could not get a personalized card in that short time but I found one that was quirky and fun. Something I would like. So I paid.

I don't understand what happened but I did not understand the road I followed to come (village people?) That's how I got lost. I almost peed on myself. Te mi ba mi!!! Who was I going to ask for help? The people that don't even answer greeting? Plus it was a predominantly white community, I was afraid someone will call the police to report a strange black girl pacing upandan. No ID or phone on me. If they arrest me and take me to an unknown jail nko? It's all over.

I found my way back to the shop. Then I tasked my mind to remember the night I memorized the route. I was home finally 😁 Only one problem, the door was slightly opened. Nothing I did not think. Maybe a serial killer or rapist waa lurking around and noticed I did not lock and have entered. Or perhaps a burglar was inside. I kept pleading the blood of Jesus. I entered and started shouting 'hello'. No answer. I did not jam the door incase I may need to run out. I sat downstairs for a while hoping to hear movement. Nothing. Then I tiptoed upstairs opening doors gently. When I was sure I was alone, I went back to lock the door. I addressed my card and packed it up. By night, I was on my way to Nigeria.

I presented my card to 'man', he said a casual 'thank you." Hian🙄 No 'aww. Ohmygosh I love this, you totally get me'. I was disappointed. I could have died because of this card or being in an unknown jail😂

But it taught me something. That gesture mirrored one of the ways I like to receive love and not his (I mean I kept this frame Avesta gave me since 2013 and the cute clock Prerna gave me
). Knowing the love language of your spouse is key else you will keep getting disappointed. Just like the greatest way to show love to God is by keeping his commandments and working in His ways. Doing every other thing apart from these won't get His attention. Love Him today how He wants to be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment