Friday 23 March 2018

When life happens

#EmotionalFriday

What do you do when life happens? Pre 2013, I basically lived the #babygirl life. I was young, free, ambitious. I lived within my means but my means took very good care of me. I bought things for the future. Shoes for just incase one wedding comes up and we need 'silver shoe'๐Ÿ˜‚ or may be 'grey'. My shoe rack was the dream. My bags? Gosh. I have never been driven by money because we had a very humble beginning. My father would always tell the story of how we (my papa, my mama, me and my bro in my mummy's belly๐Ÿ˜Š) were kicked out of a relatives house at 12 midnight because I spoilt their TV knob. My mama mixed sugar and hot water as 'tea' for us during harmattans.

I will never forget where we came from and it has helped me be friends with anybody- privileged or not. Then came the season where....Sigh, I think I should just leave the rest for the new book.

One day, I racked my wardrobe for any cloth of value I could sell, I found one Senegalese attire I had worn once. I washed, ironed and packed it and called someone up who could help me sell it. I got N15,000. I originally bought for N50,000 during baby girl life๐Ÿ˜Š. I sold my shoes on Facebook and Instagram. Mostly new. I invited some ladies I knew from a Whatsapp group to my house and they came to pick stuff and I just collected whatever they had to offer. I did all these to buy my daughter's food. I remember going for a scan when I was 6 months pregnant and the doctor was worried at the size of my baby. 'She's too small', she said. She asked I immediately started eating lots of healthy food. Food?๐Ÿ˜‚ Where? The garri I drank ehn. No wonder Nifemi likes garri. My former colleague and friend for life, Bisola will buy me food even without me asking because I refused to buy food on credit. Let the hunger kill me. He understood my silence. Once I start to throw up, it meant I was hungry and he would always find something. When I decided to start selling chinchin at the office, he will be the one carrying it around to market. I did not buy ONE shoe or slippers in 3 years and I would still post happy pictures. Once I didn't make my hair in 6 months. My friends, Onome and Eniye gave me clothes. My salary was disbursed the same day it was collected. Thank God we do not look like what we've been through.

So when I tell you that it pays to trust God because He WILL come through, best believe, I am not talking book knowledge, I am speaking from first hand experience.

I am a product of grace. He changed my story, He can change yours if you only believe. ❤




1 comment: