Sunday 4 March 2018

On finding purpose


Am I to become a musician, writer, pastor, chef (lol, clearly not), lecturer, lawyer, broadcaster, governor's wife or perhaps the governor herself? "What exactly is my purpose on earth?" Like many of us, I asked myself this question often. I just wanted a clear cut instruction manual from God.

I remember being in Children's church and being asked repeatedly to sing. I couldn't even look at the faces of people. My head was almost always bowed. I could sing, yes! But I was timid. Why would God give me this talent and not help me be bold. That was something I had to learn on my own.

I was always picked to read the News at school. They said I could speak 'good' English. Phew! This still required looking at the faces of people. To be honest, I think my English is basic but my dad struggles to hear me especially when I'm using the microphone. He would often say 'won't you reduce this grammar?' Or 'do you know I did not hear one thing, I don't know why they were clapping'🤣

I joined NIFES (Nigeria Fellowship of Evangelical Students) in the university. It was huge. I didn't think anyone would notice me. I came and left quietly. Alas! One day as I sat in fellowship, someone passed me a letter that had my name on it. I opened it only to discover I had been nominated to be an exco. I was very indifferent. I didn't want stress. My mother practically forced me to attend the nomination and interview meeting. It was not long I was announced Asst Gen. Secretary. Yay! Atleast I was assistant, 'I will only support once in a while', I thought. Yimu. Just once that I read the announcement, the hall went into a frenzy. Yup! the 'grammar' my pops always complains about plus I led the closing anthem in my sonorous voice😜 of course I was now made to join the choir. My Gen sec practically made me handle almost every service. Yet again, I found myself standing in front of hundreds of people. At first, I was nervous but I gradually began to find my voice and boldness. At the end of my tenure, I was promoted to Zonal level. This means I would never have reached Zone had I not started with AGS and being faithful with it.

Then came PRAISCO, the biggest music event at the time and I was chosen to sing the National Anthem. As I got on the stage and looked at the crowd, my heart dropped. I had never seen so many people gathered together in one place. But I was already there and the only choice left was to deliver. I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

I went on from NIFES to speaking and singing on different platforms and I always remember how God has been moulding me and preparing me for the future. Now I hold the mic and it looks like I was born with it.

Now I know that God has created me to be a shining light and a leader. I make no apologies for that. People want to hear what I have to say. I mean who would believe that I would host an event in the little community I live in Kaduna and have so many people turn up. Who would believe I would sell out on a book I wrote to people who don't personally know me from my small community called Mando that is probably not on the map. People from Malawi, UK, US, Kenya, Lagos, PH, Kano, Kafanchan, Abuja, Kaduna, Zaria etc.🙄 Most of these places I have never been to.

I remember writing free articles for ChildrenOfTheMekong where I interned in London. What if I turned it down because I was not receiving payment for it? It was God presenting an opportunity to build myself up.

Your purpose is almost always embedded in your natural abilities and God will always present you with opportunities at the level where you are to prepare you. Do not take for granted the level you are in right now. You may need to go through it to get to the next stage.

Until you get through that stage, God will not let you in on his next mission for you. So refusal to be useful with your gifts and talents because you feel too big or too good for a particular place is only shooting yourself in the foot.

The servant who was given 5 talents did not know God's ultimate plan was to make him governor of 6 cities. Matt 25:14-30. If he was not faithful with the little, he would never have been governor. The whole time, God had governor in mind but he had him start from being a salesman. God will not reveal the big plan to you. Your purpose continues to unveil as you on with your life and with every experience. I mean if I didn't fight and win depression, how would I be able to counsel on it?

I pray God's discernment for you that you do not miss out on opportunities that God has orchestrated to lead you to your purpose.

Peace, love and finding purpose,

Love.

P.s. As always, if it has blessed you, share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment