Saturday 14 April 2018

Be the rebel

BE THE REBEL

"I think you go to church too much. You need to find other activities to be involved in."

I'm Miss-smarty-pants who always has a reply to everything but this time, I was speechless. More like confused. Here I was deeply in love with someone who was not impressed with my dedication to service and who I had been praying about for months. Well, it was more of me trying to arm twist God to agree with my choice rather than a prayer asking for His will.

"I'm a chorister. It's what I've been called to do. If I don't attend all those rehearsals, I can't function", I finally mumbled. He shrugged as if to say 'all-these-church-people-and-things-that-don't-make-sense'. I started to question if all I was doing was eye-service.

An argument ensued between the HolySpirit and I later that day.

Me: I really spend a lot of time in church
HS: And?
Me: I want to do other things. I want to perfect my makeup artistry, I want to learn to play the piano, I want to learn to sew.
HS: And church is stopping you?
Me: Well, I'm there all the time.
HS: If they are important to you, you will find a way. Maybe not all at the same time but you will find a way.
Me: Okay
HS: And for that boy? My answer is NO. You have compromised in your thoughts for him too many times. I was silent but apparently you did not get the message.
Me: But I like him a lot
HS: You will like another. You will be alright.

Sigh.

You see, he had mentioned being a 'social drinker'. Whatever that means. Personally, I do not associate with alcohol. Whether frequently or occasionally. It's being my belief over the years. But then I tried to bargain with the HS. 'Maybe, it's not so bad afterall, just like 3 times in a year and it has health benefits', I said after the HS gave a prompting. I was already making compromises.

Another time he said something about fornication not being that big of a deal. He said something like God not being angry at it the way Nigerian pastors make it seem. I knew it was wrong, I said nothing. I compromised.

Too many Christians are sitting on the wall. You know it's not right but you choose silence so they won't say your own is too much. They will tell you even Jesus sat with sinners. But he didn't become them. There was never a doubt, not even for a second as to where Jesus stood. He did not let them influence him, rather he influenced them.

There was a free medical test for girls who were sexually active at the NYSC orientation camp whilst I was a corps member. While people rushed from my hostel, I went back to sleep. Shocked, someone came to ask me why I wasn't going. 'I'm a virgin', I simply said. Nothing prepared me for the laughter that erupted across the room. I smiled and shut my eyes and continued my sleep. I could have whispered it in her ears but I chose against it. If they feel confident speaking about the different kinds of men they've had and things they have acquired from such men then why should I be ashamed of declaring my own stance. Your truth is your truth, my truth is my truth. I refused to be shamed.


In a society where doing is right is scoffed at, you must be dogged and unfazed. Their insecurities and their own inadequacy make them scorn you. They wish they had your kind of courage to choose to do right in the midst of wrong. They want you to bend. Do not. Be unapologetic. Be firm. You are the rebel. Be the light in darkness. You are to illuminate. Do not be covered. So what if you don't have friends because if your stand. You will be alright. You don't need such friends anyway.

-Jesus is the ONLY way to the Father.
- Sexual purity is still demanded by God. Before and during marriage.
- Modesty in dressing is required for both men and women.
-Smoking and drinking are a NO NO for people meant to be the light.
-Loving your neighbours as yourself is expected.
-Obey all of God's commands

Are you a rebel?

No comments:

Post a Comment