Thursday 14 September 2017

Fickle Emotions

'What should we do today?' I asked him. 'Will you be a nuisance with me?'. So we hatched a plan. We were to play the role of new parents shopping for baby supplies. So we went from shop to shop, stressing out attendants who kept showing us different options and we would end up leaving politely while laughing hysterically once we got outside. I don't even like Tomblerone but since he was having it, I had to have it too. We fed each other in full glare of everyone. It was out of the norm. In this part of the world, you are supposed to be conservative about things like this but he had no care in the world. The first day he said 'meet my girlfriend' to an uncle, I almost froze. 'Meet my friend' would be perfect. 'Why do I have to hide you. I like you a lot. Like a lot'. We often avoided the term 'love'. It often put too much pressure and expectations. Slowly, he was bringing me out of my shell. I soon found myself singing aloud in a bus while we shared an earpiece. It was late in the night, he took me home himself. He needed to make sure I was safe. We lived very far from each other. He headed back home but I couldn't reach him for about 3 hours. I felt my heart was about to ripped apart. 'Why wasn't his line connecting?' Then I began to cry. Maybe he was kidnapped. I kept trying his number almost every 30 seconds. Then he picked. Phew. Something had happened but he was safe now. 'Don't ever put yourself in harm's way for me again. I would die if anything happened to you.' I meant every word. I loved him that much. Or do we say, liked him that much? Whatever.
It was an intense kind of love. The I-have-to-speak-to-you-50-times-in-a-day-or-i-lose-my-mind kind of love. The kind of love that no matter how bad the fight was, you know you both will be okay. The love/like was bound to bring you back together. One time, I swore it was over but then he sent a mail and I found myself dialling his number. I had actually deleted the number from my phone but how do you delete the number from your heart? I was certain- I am going to marry him. We had names for our babies.
And then one day, he said he no longer wanted to be in the relationship. I had actually suggested it first because we didn't seem to agree on certain things but I never believed he would happily agree to it. I carried my bag with whatever dignity was left and walked out the door. He didn't move. I walked out of the gate, still no sight of him. I was to leave town the following day. I couldn't breathe. Like a maniac, I kept calling and texting. There was no reply. I decided to go see a movie. It was a comedy yet I was crying profusely as I watched. It was time to leave. I got to the airport and kept turning back before I boarded. Romance movies always mess with your head. You know how the guy is supposed to come running, sweep you off your feet and beg you not to get on the plane? Well, that didn't happen. And just like that, that chapter closed.
I didn't die. He didn't die. Everyone's moved on. Emotions are fickle. One minute, you think you can't live without a person and the next minute, you can't even remember their name. It is the human nature. People change their minds about people. Deal with it and move on. There is someone however, whose feelings never change. His name is Jesus. He is my best Friend
I know this was cheesy😛

Love, peace and cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment