Sunday 10 September 2017

Time

I knew I was going to wait 12 hours for my connecting flight from Turkey to India. I was prepared for it. I had my mini blanket, books, pen, hotter, sweater, money and charger (unknown to me; different charging adapters).

After arrival, I really began to feel sorry for myself. I spread my blanket in a corner and I really looked like a refugee. There were many others like me. I tried listening to music but when I discovered I would not be able to charge my phone, I had to stop to save some battery. I opened a book to read, and I felt so bored and sleepy at the same time.I got tired of feeling sorry for myself. I got up, folded my blanket and off I went. I paid for Wi-Fi and stopped searching for free Wi-Fi πŸ˜… I walked around and even bought a few things. I went into a shop and the attendant said to me 'You are so beautiful, where are you from?' You cannot even begin to imagine the moral booster I got and then she gave me free snacks. Then I went to the perfume section and sprayed like 20 different bottles of perfume πŸ˜€ 'They' are the ones that put 'not for sale. For testing' on the bottles.I was only 'testing'. Then I met the nice black French man who let me use his charger to charge my phone. I met a Cameroonian woman and her daughter who were so delightful. Every the time the girl called out 'mama', I imagined it was my daughter, Nifemi. Her laughter was infectious. Just like Nifemi, she kept her mama on her toes and then finally she slept and mama slept too while I watched her charging phone. There was a Jamaican who was charging his phone and power bank but he left  and forgot the power bank. One of us there took it to the nearest shop in case he came back. It wasn't up to 5 minutes, he walked by and we all called out to him at the same time. He did not even know he forgot it. He was so happy he thanked us individually. Then I met the Nigerian man who could not decide if he wanted to use Nigerian or American accent. It was ridiculous. He told me stories that were 60% untrue but it was amusing so I listened anyway. Then there was this other one. He had a very strong Igbo accent and was fighting hard to keep it away and he goes 'Hi baby, are you married? I live in Boston'πŸ˜‚ How this information was relevant, I still don't know. Then I met another Nigerian, she walked up to me to ask if I had water in my bag. I didn't. I eventually bought and tried to find her but I didn't. She looked very tired and hungry. A Nigerian girl walked up to me to ask if I spoke English. Not her fault, there were so many dark skinned people who spoke no English. She just wanted to talk with someone. She said she was travelling to Kiev. I asked if it was an Island because i've never heard of it. She laughed and told me it was in Ukraine and that was where she schooled. Her gate number soon came up and we parted. I never got her name. Then I had an amazing meal and then went back to spray more perfumes😁. 10 hours had gone by. I settled down to sit for a while then I video called home and was chatting with my daughter and mum and this woman kept staring at me. She walked up to me to ask how I was able to call. I told her I paid for internet so whatsapp calls were possible. She asks if she can use my phone to call her daughter in America. I gave her my phone. She called but her daughter's husband picked instead. They had a brief chat in Yoruba. I pretended not to understand Yoruba. Trust me, you don't want to meet another Yoruba person in a foreign land, the 'parapo' is not here (Those that know, know). Then she starts beating around the busy 'ah if only I can call my daughter's other number. She will be that one o' So I asked her, 'Ma, would you like to call your daughter?'. 'God bless you my child.' She called her and she was speaking in Yoruba advising her on marriage and how everything will work out. From the conversation, both husband and wife were out of work and it was taking a toll on them. She promised to raise money to send to them. Then she says she would have bought internet time to call them but she's so broke, she's barely going to manage till the next day when she will fly to Nigeria. Then she says her daughter should thank the stranger who lent her the phone. I was still pretending not to understand Yoruba so I kept a straight face. Then she gave me the phone and said her daughter wanted to greet me. I greeted her and that's when '304' came up on the screen. That was my gate number to board. This was exactly what I had waited 12 hours for. It was finally time to fly to India.

Whether you choose to do something with time or not, it will still pass. It is up to you to decide the worth of time. I'm currently pursuing another degree I have always wanted to do and I remember telling my dad I wanted to wait till next year because there is so much happening and now is not a good time. He said to me (I'm paraphrasing), whether you do it now or not, 365 days will still go by so do you want to just say 'Happy New year in January 2018 + regular self' or 'Happy New year + regular self + new degree' Either ways 2018 will still come. I'm happy I chose to start the program NOW not later. I'm happy I packed up my blanket and decided to make the most use of 12 hours instead of feeling sorry. I'm happy I chose to live and savour every moment. I am happy to have met all the unique characters at the airport. It reminded me how similar and unique we all are no matter where we come from or what language we speak. I am happy I am making the most out of my friendships (new and old) I am happy to be taking a vacation even though I don't have a vacation fit body πŸ˜‚, I am happy creating memories with my family. I am not waiting for a perfect time. No, don't sit around waiting for love. Live and love will find you. Don't sit on your butt waiting for that dream job, do what you can until it finds you or you find it. If I can't afford to buy that Michael Kors  bag just yet, I will buy that one in Central market that is pretty, nice enough and less expensive. And when the money comes, i will buy the MK but whichever way, I will be happy. I made a decision not to postpone my happiness anymore and I am seeing it through.  
 Ecclesiastes 11:9 You who are young, be happy while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth.

Love fiercely, live purposefully

Peace, love and cupcakes.

Love.

If this has blessed you, share with others. Plenty hugs from India.

No comments:

Post a Comment