Thursday 28 January 2021

Episode 5 #ThirtyTales


 Won fe get me ni London (2)


It was the Holy Ghost Congress held by the Redeemed Christian Church of God. I had never sat under Daddy G.O's ministration before so I was excited to attend. It was a vigil but knowing how Nigerians are everywhere, I thought it wise to set out early so I could get a front row seat in the auditorium.

I was on the train by 5pm and as expected, it was crowded with Nigerians also on their way to the venue. It was terribly cold and every time the train made a stop, I contemplated getting down and going back home.

We finally arrived and the doors were locked. They opened it up at 8pm. You needed to see the race we all took to get front seats. I was seated on the third row. Very close to the anointing😁. After all the singing, dancing, prayers, special numbers; I was already exhausted when Daddy G.O began his ministration. I was very sleepy. I decided not to disgrace my father by sleeping like some of my front row colleagues so I went out for some air.

I walked around for a bit and then found a chair and sat. I had barely settled in when this young guy walked up to me. 'Are you from Lagos", he asked. I was startled. "No, why?", I replied. " I'm from Lagos and you look like a Lagos babe", he said. I explained how I was born Kogi but lived all my life in Kaduna. He said he had never been to Kaduna all the years he lived in Nigeria and wanted to know more. I obliged him and before I knew it, about 45 minutes had gone by. I told him I needed to go back in and continue the service. We exchanged BBM pins and I went on my way.

Service ended in the early hours of the morning. I think about 3am. There were no trains and it had began to snow. An acquaintance from my own church who also attended the Congress offered to take me to her house so I could leave from there when the day was bright. We walked to her home. Upon arrival as we stepped into her living room, I froze. I saw different colours of prayer candles and water. She saw my confusion as we attended the same church and we never used those items. She explained that it belonged to her mum who was inside sleeping.

She said I could sleep on the couch and she went in. I was scared. I dozed for a bit and I had a dream that I was being sacrificed and surrounded by red candles (disclaimer- I do not associate use of candles to sacrifices). I woke up and decided to sit till daybreak. I was sleep deprivied, tired and hungry. By 6am on the dot, I left.

I got back at about 9am, sent a text to my parents in Nigeria that I was back home safe and I was switching off my phone in order to sleep. I slept the whole day. I did not know more drama was coming my way.

By 7pm, I received a BBM message from the guy I met at the Congress. He said he was on his way to Harrow to see me. See me? For what? There was snow, it was extremely cold. It made no sense to visit anyone at that kind of time. I sent him the address and I called on my friend who stayed next door to come stay with me.

Few minutes later, he was outside the door. I asked if he was just passing by. He said he left Surrey to come see me. 😂 I did not understand o but I sha offered him tea for the cold. My friend stayed put. By 9pm, our conversation went thus:
Me: It's late o, come and be going
Him: I thought I was sleeping over
Me: How? As what?
Him: *Visibly angry* Do you know after the vigil, I went back to Surrey. I barely rested and I spent almost 2 hours travelling back to see you.
Me: I did not invite you. How is this my business?
*My friend leaves at this point*
Him: Please now, let me just stay
Me: *Now angry* Walks towards the door and opens it. Please leave.
Him: *approaches the door* Ok, just give me small kiss so my coming will not be in vain
Me: It's like you're mad. Ogbeni get out!
He stormed off angrily.

I'm still trying to understand what happened that day.

Kaduna- 1
Lagos- 0

Lagos boys, is that how you people used to do?

Your favourite writer girl,
Love.

3 comments:

  1. I heard that’s how Naija boys in Uk do behave especially during winter🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  2. ������. I can only imagine your annoyance

    ReplyDelete