Monday 25 January 2021

Thirty Tales(2) Sexual Predators 2

 

Thirty Tales


On sexual predators (2)


I don't really think I was too much of a bookworm. I think people are just exaggerating 😂. I kid. Me sef I know say I like book.


Anyway, when I found out the amount of course work we had to cover in uni; I decided I needed to read smarter and not longer. Getting an A was simple logic. I took my CAs very seriously. So if for instance I score a 30 out of 40 in my CA, It means I only need 40 marks in exam to get an A (A begins from 70 marks).

We were required to answer only 4 questions. If a question carries 20 marks then it means I only need to answer 2 questions correctly. In addition to my 30 marks in CA, I already have an A. It was so simple.


Most times, I would select topics I knew were sure to come out, about 4-5 of them and leave the rest. This method worked almost all the time (there were difficult courses like Syntax, Phonology etc. that this could not work for). I mostly had As and then some Bs. My life was great. I had plotted my way to a first class from 100 level.


One Monday evening, I was lying on my bed when I received a text. It read "Meet me at Atlas hotel by 10am on Wednesday. Dr. O*****". I must have read it like 10 times. Me? Hotel? For what? I deleted the text. On Wednesday, I switched off my phone throughout the day. I avoided Dr. O***** (who was taking us two courses that semester) throughout that week. By the next Monday, I got the same text. I switched off my phone again on Wednesday.


By the next class, I sat behind so we would not even make eye contact. Two people behind me were talking. Next thing I heard "You, you are busy making noise in my class abi, get out". I turned to look at the culprits and faced my front again. "Is it not you I'm talking to?". It was now obvious he was referring to me. Everyone around me was like "Ah sir, she was not talking o". He shouted "get out of my class". That's how I gathered my things. A whole me! The golden child being sent out of a class. Na wa o. E pain am sha as I ghost am.


I ran into him once at the school entrance, I greeted him and he ignored me. Exams now came. I had passed this man's CAs. Instead of selecting topics, I read all because I knew he was out for me. What's the worst that he could do? I knew he could not fail me. It wouldn't make sense for a straight A student to suddenly come up with an F. But this man was smart. Results came out and he gave me 2 Cs in both courses that he took us. Getting 2 Cs in my 300 level second semester shattered my dreams of a first class. It was not something that could be reported. It did not add up but there was nothing I could do. The next time I saw him, he had this smirk on his face that said "Do me, I do you".


Thank God for God sha that does not need a first class to bless you. Grateful for how things turned out because it turns out, you do not need to have a first class to live a first class life.


Your favourite writer girl,

Love

No comments:

Post a Comment